Acid reflux – foods to avoid, what kind of food that should be avoided?
This question is frequently expressed by almost all people who suffering from acid reflux. Recommending healthy nutrition by avoiding several types of food and improve intake of another, potentially provide significant health benefits for the long term for people with acid reflux. Diet and lifestyle changes are needed as an integral part in the efforts for a holistic long-term treatment of GERD.
The food that we eat have an essential role to maintain the balance of inner bodies naturally. Because of the dietary habits and particular food have been known to directly or indirectly increase acid reflux getting worse, avoid consuming these foods and applying certain dietary habits for the perfect digestion when suffering acid reflux can provide highly positive impact on your medical condition.
Here are some examples of foods to avoid for acid reflux sufferers :
- Coffee and some types of beverages with the content of caffeine can cause increasing acidity. Do not consume more than two cups of coffee a day, and avoid drinking coffee before going to sleep.
- Alcohol can cause stomach irritation and relaxes LES muscle, thereby increasing acid reflux.
- Foods with high fat content is one of the certain foods that cause the symptoms of GERD. They are not easy to digest and requires a longer time and is difficult to be eliminated from the body, this causes an acid increase that could be splash acid up into the esophagus. Only the omega-3 fatty acids derived from fish and fish oils that may be consumed by patients with acid reflux, because they contain highly anti-inflammantory.
- Fat and caffeine also contained in chocolate. So chocolate can enhance acidity and aggravate digestion and therefore must be avoided.
- Milk and some dairy products with high calcium content should be avoided to consumed before go sleep.
- Spearmint, peppermint and the another mints may cause the symptoms of acid reflux. Foods that contain lots of mint should be avoided, including herbal tea with the content of mint.
- Acidic foods like tomatoes and oranges, and some vegetables such as cabbage, onions, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, spinach and broccoli causes esophageal sphincter opening, thereby enhancing the acid reflux.
So those are some acid reflux foods to avoid. By performing acid reflux diet and motivation to change your lifestyle healthier, you can find a way to overcome gastroesophageal acid reflux disease and improve well-being and your quality life.
Regardless your health state are, when you ultimately decide to enhance your life quality, you can actually choose to heal GERD and to prevent recur, by applying holistic treatment.